I've upgraded my blog to a fancy new website! To follow my cycling journey, check out my new website and read my new blog

Friday, April 6, 2012

Delray Beach Criterium

Since my last blog I have been to Florida, back to Asheville, California (Redlands and San Dimas) and now back in Asheville again. The first race on my calendar was the Delray twilight criterium which is part of the American Criterium series and is raced in Delray, Florida. We then had another small criterium to do the next day before returning home to Asheville. Here is where I supposed to break down the race, lap by lap, but instead the experience of Delray was pretty surreal, so I’m going to start with that. We arrived outside our host house, which thanks to Kristen (team mate) was a super nice place. A 3 storied town-type house next to the river, with a Jacuzzi, a boat docked up right outside the front door and a plasma flat screen outside on the deck (which you could watch while in the Jacuzzi). So the accommodation was pretty top-notch. Then after the last race we visited friends of the family we were staying with. We drove there in their Porsche and super cool mini. Once arriving we got on a boat and boated to a restaurant about half an hour away. The views on the boat were incredible; the houses were stuff you see on TV, was definitely a city for the wealthy. We then docked up, had dinner and boated back. Was an awesome night, but the houses we sore were pretty ridiculous.






Now for the racing. the Delray beah criterium is part of the USA Criterium racing series. Our team was all over the world, with some in Europe and others at another race in America so the team that went to this criterium had no sprinters, so was going to be more of a practice working together kind of thing (as criteriums generally turn into a sprint). Our team rode really well, making the race alive, where we attacked the entire way through. Then Kristen (team mate) got up the road and stayed away for about 3 laps, unfortunately getting caught with 200 meters to go. I then got into 'sprint' mode (Which I don't really have) and managed to get a 3rd place.. So was happy with the first race! Then the next day was another criterium, not quite as important but still a good one. Our team rode agressively again and gave me a perfect lead out (I was now the team sprinter for this race, which for me is a bit of a laugh), unfortunately I could not win it but got 2nd by about a tire width.. damn.

The finishing straight at the race. Love racing in the dark!

Not the best photo, but the only one I could find on the podium.

The next day we got up at about 3:30am to catch the 6:00 flight. We are all getting quite used to these ridiculously early mornings. Below is a picture of us at the airport, after a solid 3-4 hours of sleep (I think I am eating my breakfast out of some Tupperware).

Now it is Asheville for 2 days, then to California for Redlands and San Dimas Stage races! I cannot wait!!

Will keep you posted,

Courteney

No comments:

Post a Comment