I've upgraded my blog to a fancy new website! To follow my cycling journey, check out my new website and read my new blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Te Awamutu Tour

The Te Awamutu Tour is the first tour I had ever completed back in 2006. It is a great few days of racing with the top junior riders from around the country. Usually I would be doing it with the hope of being selected for the junior team to race in Canberra and Adelaide, but because I’m not a junior anymore it was just a good blow out before nationals. It involved 2 road races and a time trial with an overall Queen of the mountain and Sprint Ace winner.

The first stage was a typical women’s race with everybody ‘saving’ their legs and sitting on. A few of us had a go at getting away but were not successful. I managed to take out all of the QOM’s (Queen of the mountain) and a few points in the Sprint Ace, and then just managed to outsprint Courtney Grenfell for the overall (was very close).

The second stage was a bit more exiting as it had a few longer hills out Wharepapa South ways. Haley Mercer did a solid attack on the first climb which broke the field up. I then counter attacked her and a group of 7 of us got away. For the next 2 laps the 6 of us (we dropped one) worked well together, gaining about 7 minutes on the next group of riders. I also managed to take out all of the QOM points and most of the Sprint Ace points throughout the race and then outsprinted the bunch at the finish, which gave me a 5 second overall lead.



Finish of stage 2.

The next day was the Time Trial which was a 15 km out and back course. I put all I had into it and finished 2nd to a very strong Kerri-Anne Torckler. This putting me in second place. Overall it was a fun few days of racing, coming away with the QOM and Sprint Ace jerseys and a 2nd overall.
Sisterly bonding right before the start of tt, probly telling
me how bad my glasses look and that I should give them to her..
While dad gives me a leg massage.
Till next time,
Courteney

No comments:

Post a Comment