I've upgraded my blog to a fancy new website! To follow my cycling journey, check out my new website and read my new blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Auckland 1000

The Auckland 1000 is part of the National Point series and is around the Karaka circuit in Auckland, where the 2007 National Champs were held. The elite women had a 78km road race which was 3 laps of the rolling circuit. The race started off slowly, with every one gradually pulling through. The first time up the hill (a reasonable hill, half way around the circuit) I did a small attack with the aim of tiring any slow ones and hoping they would drop off. Paula McCoy and I got a little break which lasted a few km’s, we then got caught by a slightly smaller bunch and worked well together. Half way through the second lap I did another decent attack on the hill and this time Mesh Holt and Jeannie Kuhajek came with me, we worked hard together and got some good distance on the rest of the field.


Our little break away


On the same hill, but the last lap I did another attack, getting away by myself. I went as hard as I could over the climb and kept going, looking behind I noticed Mesh had droped Jeannie and was chasing me by herself. I felt pretty good but knowing the 3 times elite time trial champion was chasing me down was a little daunting. With about 1 km to go Mesh caught me, and then attacked, I managed to get on her wheel (just) and pass her at the line. Was very happy with the race, legs felt fresh and fast! Now they just need to stay like that for the rest of the year..!

At the finish line, my lovely/relieved facial expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment