I've upgraded my blog to a fancy new website! To follow my cycling journey, check out my new website and read my new blog

Sunday, January 16, 2011

World Champs!

In early September I was selected to compete at the UCI Road World Cycling Champs in Geelong, Australia, along with a very strong team of; Cath Cheatley, Linda Villumsen, Serena Sheridan, Toni Bradshaw, Emma Crum and myself. When I first took up cycling I dreamt of competing at the World Champs at about the age of 30 and then to be selected at 19 years old I was totally overwhelmed and excited (and bloody nervous).

A week before Geelong (Worlds) was a race in Ballarat called the World Cycling Classic. This was basically the warm up race, where mostly everyone doing worlds would compete at. The race was insane, lining up with over 100 of the worlds best cyclists. I felt really good for most of the race, felt confident in the bunch and even went off the front for about 100m on one of the hills. It started off relatively slow, as everyone waited for someone to do something, then with about 2 laps to go the pressure went on with over half the field dropping. At the end I finished in the middle of the bunch (about 33rd out of the 100 odd riders). This race gave me a major confidence booster, I had an awesome time and it was pretty cool riding alongside the worlds best.

The next week everybody settled into the hotel in Geelong, where we rode, ate and slept. Emma, Serina and I had the perfect room looking over the tt course. We were not supposed to do much before the race so we would sit on the deck, watch them ride past then turn and watch it live on the TV.

I decided to get sick 4 days before the race. It got worse as the days went on, feeling terrible when riding and having no energy. I loaded up on as much Vitamin C as I could but think it was too late, although I stayed positive telling myself it would be gone the next day. On the morning of the race I temporarily lost my voice.. but I did feel better! Toni also managed to get sick with a chest infection, not the best start for the team. Other then that I was still very exited to race! Out for a training ride, trying to chase Mark Cavendish who was also out on a training ride 100 metres in front.

Riding out to the race was awesome, the atmosphere was incredible. Massive crowds were lining the streets already, with flags from all around the World. While in the riders area there were camera people everywhere, it felt so professional! We had the team presentation where we signed on and stood on the stage for photos, then had a little warm up and headed for the start line. Each country got called up individually, with New Zealand being toward the back.



Our names up on the start list.

Getting called up to the start.


The race consisted of 8 laps (127km), including 2 rather steep hills each lap. The first hill was just over a km, getting upto about 24% gradient. Then it descended for 2.5km and went straight into another steep, but short climb. On the first lap up the hill there was a small crash in front of Emma and I, I had to put the breaks on and go around it and then sprint to get back onto bunch in front. Luckily made it back up before the top of the hill, although was not feeling flash and HR was already about 5 above my maximum. The next couple of laps I felt comfortable in the bunch but as soon as we hit a hill I was suffering. Toward the end of the 4th lap I completely blew on the hill, the legs didn’t feel too bad but I was suffering to breath. I eventually pulled the pin. As gutted as I was to have to pull out I did have a great time and knew that there was nothing more I could have done. Linda and Cath had a great race finishing in the front bunch with Toni and Serina not far behind.

Overall the whole trip was an experience of a life time that I will never forget, and hope that one day I will be right up there with the top girls.


The Team before the start, me looking abit too serious. (photo from RoadCycling.co.nz)
Courteney

No comments:

Post a Comment