I've upgraded my blog to a fancy new website! To follow my cycling journey, check out my new website and read my new blog

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tour De Femme

On Boxing Day I headed down to Nelson to compete in the Tour De Femme.
The Tour De Femme is a 5 stage tour completed over 3 days, including an 11 km hill climb up Takaka, a 48km circuit race, a 70km hilly road race, a 19km time trial and finishing off with an 80km road race. The field was pretty big for a women’s race with 50 riders starting and it was a good warm up race before nationals as there is not a lot of racing around NZ at that time of the year.

Stage one was the hill climb, the conditions were terrible, raining and very windy. The race had to be delayed about an hour as the weather was quit dangerous toward the top of the hill. Once it was underway it cleared but roads were very wet. I did an alright hill climb, getting a 3rd place, think I may have taken it too easy for the first half, not knowing that the second half was not near as steep and there was a slight tail wind.. Then going back down the hill I slipped on some diesel, ripping my skin suit, and bending my derailleur. Other then that just had a few grazes so was pretty lucky!

That afternoon was the circuit race. By now the sun was shinning and it was hot! The race started off slow, with no-one wanting to do anything. On the second to last lap Jeannie Kahujak attacked and I went with her, we got away for about half a lap picking up some sprint points. When we were caught Dale Tye attacked and no-body wanted to chase. With half a lap to go a few of us went to the front and put the pressure on, the sprint started pretty early with everyone having a go, I managed to get a pretty good position and won the bunch sprint, but 2nd in the stage as Dale was about 2 bike lengths in front at the finish.

Me at the front trying to put pressure on the bunch along with Emily (right) and Kate (left). Photos from Lucid Design.

The next day was the 70km very hilly stage, finishing on a 1km very steep climb. Again it started off pretty slow. When we got to Spooners (a 3km relatively steep climb) everyone was trying to get up the front. Karen, Emily, Emma and I attempted a few attacks, each time dropping a few people. The signing was not very good for the King of the Mountains and after coming round the corner I saw a large group of people so went for it, then realising there was still 300m to go. At this stage there was 3 of us away, I was stuffed after my little burst so I could not sprint again for the actual kom. We were now in a break away of about 15. The rest of the ride was pretty hard, everyone working well together. At the start of the finishing climb Emma Crum and I rode off the front, we got a pretty good gap on everyone else. I managed to out-sprint Emma at the line, although it was very close.

Coming upto the finish of the 3rd stage (on the right). Photos from Lucid Design.

That afternoon was the time trial. I was pretty tired from the morning’s stage, and it was really hot! The course was hard, with a few rolling hills and false flats (and wind). I was not able to bring my time trial bike down so I used clip-on bars on my road bike. I put all I had into it and finished 3rd, with Jaimie Neilson and Dale Tye in front (both using time trial bikes).

The last road stage started off well with Team Fresh Choice (A nelson based team) doing lots of attacks trying to get their rider Jeannie some sprint points. Kate Chilcott (a good friend of mine) was also going for Sprint Ace and with 2 km to go Jeannie was off the front and no-body wanted to chase. I went to the front and went as hard as I could to catch up, with Kate on my wheel. Jeannie had a bit too much distance but Kate managed to get 2nd over the line making her win the Sprint Ace overall. The rest of the race was very on and off with lots of attacks but also lots of slow patches. Over the second to last climb about 8 of us got away, we worked really hard together but somehow got caught by the bunch. Coming into the finish I went about 100 metres too early, blowing just before the finish line. Karen Fulton was on my wheel and passed me just before the line, with Kate 2nd and me 3rd.


Emma and I getting a little gap on the field on the last climb. (I’m second wheel with the under 23 leaders top on). Photos from Lucid Design.

Overall I finished 2nd to Jaimie Neilson, 1st in under 23 and 2nd in King (Queen) of the Mountains.

For more information on this tour or for any photos visit; http://www.nelsonevents.co.nz/TourdeFemme.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment