I've upgraded my blog to a fancy new website! To follow my cycling journey, check out my new website and read my new blog

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Liberty Classic

Wow! Basically the best description of Liberty Classic I can think of.
After arriving in Philadelphia on Friday, June the 3rd. Kate and I unpacked our bikes and went for a ride in search of the course. After a few wrong turns we eventually got on track but it was getting too dark to ride the infamous “wall” so turned and went back to the Hotel. Unfortunately our team was unable to enter this race as it was a UCI race and only pro teams or teams invited were able to enter, so instead we were racing for a composite team called CRCA (Century Road Club Association). If it was not for David Jordan (part of the CRCA Club) I would probably not have been able to compete in this awesome event.

The team, me in the middle and Kate on my left (your right).



David helping out with some last minute tyre pumping.



Liberty Classic is the biggest race in America and includes many of the top cyclists from all over the world including Georgia Bronzini (current world champ) and the most successful female cyclist in the world (and the oldest) Jeannie Longo. The course was relatively flat with one steep 600 (or so) metre climb known as “the wall” and another short but steep hill. There were over 100 quality starters. The race was reasonably fast but nothing too crazy with HTC and Colavita driving it and chasing anything that went off the front. In the last 1km everyone was fighting for position, it was like a wrestling match where the people with no fear (or the crazy ones) would get into good position near the front. Coming around the final corner (with 500 metres to go) I was near the front, feeling really comfortable with my position. Next thing a girl swerved right in front pushing me into the barrier, I had to pull the breaks on and go around which was a pain in the arse! I ended up finishing in 13th place. Although the end was a bit of a disaster the race was so cool with the massive crowds and incredible riders. It felt like the whole town had come out to watch the race and was just one massive party.

Climbing "the wall" with Meredith Miller (team Tibco) and Laura Van Gilder (Mellow Mushroom).






The finish line, Bronzini wins.. I'm the yellow speck in the background.

Kate and me at the end, 12th and 13th place.. not bad for two newbies.. wait till next time!!!


Photos thanks to Kevin Hatt (our official, amazing, team photographer); http://www.kevinhatt.com/


Next up.. Tulsa Tough! Three days of full on criterium racing.. in some intense heat. Thanks for reading =)



Courteney

No comments:

Post a Comment